7.29.2014

Start Now

I was having a text conversation with one of our students the other night and I confessed something to her that I have not told anyone.

I have a regret.

I know, it's not cool to have regrets.  Just look at Pinterest.  It'll tell you so.

But I do.  And what is it?

I wish I would have started sooner.

I wish I would have started working with youth sooner...
...taking piano seriously sooner...
...worked with missions...
...searched out opportunities to answer the tugs God put on my heart at the moment they were placed there.

Some things I can start working at today.  Other opportunities are altered forever.  Still others have passed me by entirely.

So I implore you, I beg you...no matter what your age.  If you're 15 or 30 or 50.  START TODAY.

Put hands and feet to the things God is calling you to.  Find opportunities to use and follow your passions.  Don't be afraid to start something.  To move away.  To apply for programs or internships.  To work for a nonprofit. 

Two things have made me really face this recently. 
1.  In the first sermon in the "Meaning from Memes" series at FCC, Dallas said his dad told him he wished he'd "done less for my family and more for Jesus". 
2.  This brilliant "Liking isn't helping" campaign for Crisis Relief Singapore

If you want to see human trafficking stop in your lifetime, find an organization who is doing something about it and go work there.  Volunteer there.  Support them financially.

If you care about the homeless, find a shelter where you can work. 

If you want to lead worship, find a church with a worship leader and apply for an internship...or ask if you can shadow.

God called people at all ages.  Samuel was a child.  David and Mary were little more than children.  Timothy was young.  Abraham received his promise in old age.  Moses was something like 500 years old when he built the ark. 

You can be part of something amazing and you can do it now.  So do.

Matthew 28:18-20

and

Oceans (Hillsong United)
"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders.
Let me walk upon the waters
wherever you would call me.
Take me deeper than my strength could ever wander
and my faith will be made stronger
in the presence of my Savior."



No comments: