5.15.2013

10 Ways: Keeping it Cool this Summer

My doctor cleared me to chaperone Summer in the Son, the youth conference/camp we’re taking our high schoolers to next month. 

She was a little apprehensive considering it’s in Eastern Kentucky which is many, many hours away from her and I’ll be 36.5 weeks pregnant at the time.  She was convinced to let me go because I will have the opportunity to sit or lay down when I need to, that we’re in real rooms with A/C (not tents or cabins) and Zach is also going to be there. 
My clearance didn’t come without a few stipulations, though.  We have to stop every 2 hours on the way there and back so I can walk around and stretch, I have to stay hydrated, listen to my body and take breaks as needed, have my medical records with me, and know where the nearest hospital with a labor & delivery unit is.  Also suggested: take along my hospital bag, car seat, going home outfit for baby, etc. 
So with all this in mind, I thought I’d make a stay-cool list for my trip and to share with any Momma-to-be trying to keep the heat away this summer.
Drumroll, please:


 
1.       Water bottle: refillable because I love the earth and because it’s way cheaper considering the amount of water I should be drinking.  I also know I’ll have ready access to water fountains all week.

2.       Gatorade:  I figure if ever I could use the extra electrolytes and don’t have to worry about the carbs, it’s now!  Growing a person in the summer is definitely harder than a workout!

3.       Fan: I’m thinking of taking a folding fan that I can stash in my purse/bag.  Even when I’m not pregnant I get car sick/sick to my stomach in stagnant, hot air, so this could be a life saver.

4.       Sun Hat

5.       Hair ties

6.       Sun Block:  giant and sunburnt doesn’t sound like a good combo to me (and I think I’ve read that you’re more susceptible to sunburn when pregnant)

7.       Sunglasses:  this one is more for other Mommas than me since I wear glasses (which have UV protection), but I may toss a pair into my bag for some of our free time when I know we’ll have the opportunity to hang out at the lake.

8.     Corn Starch:  two words: heat rash.  Nothing like sweaty preggo thighs rubbing together to make a gal uncomfortable!

9.   Loose Sandals:  I know I’ll be swollen both from the heat and the late stage of pregnancy, so I’m going to always have on hand (or foot, as the case may be) my loose, comfy sandals.  I bought them when I was pregnant with my first, so they are fitted for my pregnant feet already.

10.   Will Power:  I’ve always been a person who will stay up far later than necessary because I don’t want to miss something.  I’m also that person to push my body to the limit—I’d be the idiot to climb all the way to the top of a mountain only to realize that I don’t have the energy to get back down.  I know I can’t do that on this trip and so one of the most important things I’m packing is my willpower to do what’s right for me and my baby.  A little common sense can be the difference between a really fun week and a trip to the hospital for dehydration and/or exhaustion. 

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Love it! I traveled at 35 weeks to Tennessee with our group when I was pregnant with Jack. Exhausting, but worth it!

Stacy said...

And for the record, Kate was born at King's Daughters and it was a great place to deliver. If you would need it and had a choice, Dr. Frederick is awesome!

Zach and Joy said...

That's good to know! And encouraging to hear that you travelled late in pregnancy, too! I'm sure I'll be exhausted, but I'm so excited to bond with our kids and spend a little quality time in Kentucky.