11.01.2012

The Hope that We Have

A couple of weeks ago we had a great Sunday focused around Hope. 

There are tons of things I could say about the day and I'm sure each person walked away with something different set on their heart. 

The day started with a fantastic set of music to get us ready for probably the best sermon our Pastor, Dallas, has delivered since we arrived here.  You can listen to the full message here: "Hope" 10/21/12.

Then, on Sunday evening we had a worship experience complete with music, drama and live art that was touching and uplifting.  I am honored to have been a part of it.  Here are a few shots:



One of the things that has stuck with me deeply from the day was about hope for the future.  It's not about what Christians normally think about when think of hope for the future--that we can make it through this world because Heaven awaits.  This is hope for our future here, on earth, in this life.

Several months ago my Mom shared with me a conversation she had with another family member.  The other person was expressing dispair over the state of this world and how she didn't understand how people justify continuing to bring new children into this broken world that is only getting worse.  Fair argument, I'd say.  Plenty of people have thought on this and provided discourse for and against the subject.  Mom told her she hopes Zach and I have more children to bring happiness and joy to this world. 

To be a light.

The thing that Dallas said that has stuck is along these lines: I hope Jesus tarries a little in coming back because I'd love my children to have the opportunity to lead someone to Him.

To bring Light--the Light of Christ.  Each child in our broken world isn't the threat of another rebellious teenager, abuser, criminal, or sociopath.  They are children that God wants for His own.  They are the potential to be God's hand outstretched to the downtrodden, God's voice to the broken, God's hope to the hopeless.  Each one has the potential for God to use them to change their world, someone else's world, even the entire world. 

I choose to pray for Nora and any future children we'll have to that end.  I pray for them to simply beam with the Light of Christ and I pray that we will listen to God's guidance in raising them so they will.  And I thank God, on this first day of November, for His Hope.

2 comments:

Cathy Luthy said...

Thank you for reminding me why we still meet with teens each week. The idea of leading one of them to Christ so they can do the same is HOPE.

Stacy said...

Excellent points. I hate that argument about having babies, while I understand it. The best thing we can do for this world is to raise up Christ-followers to help change it.