11.21.2012

Thanksgiving

I was thinking of Thanksgiving memories this evening and just wanted to share a little. 

For as long as I can remember we always went to my Aunt Weese's house for Thanksgiving.  We would always squeeze into her little home and watch football (and once in a great while, the dog show) and eat and visit.  I'd get hollered at for snacking on the pickle and olive tray (heavily) before lunch was ready.

My aunt always wears a lot of jewelry.  My memory tells me that it wasn't odd for her to be wearing 8 or 10 rings on Thanksgiving.  Even if that's exaggerated (as I've learned childhood memories sometimes are), it's not by a lot.  She would sometimes let me try on a diamond ring and see it sparkle on my hand.  We always wore Christmas earrings and had a contest to see who could wear the most audacious earrings to Thanksgiving dinner.  We had everything from light up Christmas bulbs to reindeer that played "Rudolph". 

We always ate ourselves silly surrounded by our family and I would drink green punch until I was sick.  Every year I drank that punch till I was green in the gills--still can't help myself.  I inevitably fell asleep somewhere just out from under foot after lunch (not just as a child--I still did this when I came home from college to Thanksgiving). 

Then we'd head out to my Aunt Blanch and Uncle Bo's for dessert and to piece on leftovers.  As a child I saw some cousins I didn't always get to see.  They were in the military or lived far away and this was a special treat.  After everyone was out of the Marines and moved home, it was just time to play games or do crafts together and as an adult, a time to sit around the dining room table and catch up and laugh.  Oh, the laughing.  That is still my favorite part of my family getting together.

Being together has gotten harder as an adult since we've moved away and my job doesn't always afford me the time off needed to make the trip. 

Last year, though, I had the joy of hosting Thanksgiving for both Zach's and my family and for the first time, a friend.  We all squeezed into our tiny house--10 or 12 of us.  We ate and laughed and enjoyed each other.

This year we don't get to make the trip to see either family, so we're borrowing some (my parents visited last weekend and Zach's will be here Friday).  We're going over to some friends from church's home with some of their family and other friends from church.  I expect we'll enjoy each other and laugh and laugh. 

Before going over, though, we're going to have our first Thanksgiving as just the 3 of us.  We'll have some breakfast and watch the parade and make some pies to take along.  I'm very excited for tomorrow morning.

This year I'm thankful for my little family here, for my family far away and for friends who are like family.  I'm thankful for happy memories, for our new town, our new church.  I'm thankful for all our health and for a roof over our heads.  I could go on and on, but I won't.  I hope you can come up with some things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and I hope you have the blessing of happy memories of Thanksgivings gone by. 

God Bless!

No comments: