8.16.2012

The Importance of Pictures

I've always been a picture taker.

When I was a kid going to camp, there was never an exposure left over on my disposable camera, and boy did I think I was hot stuff when those cameras started coming with a built-in flash and 27 exposures instead of 24!

I got my first "real" camera the summer before 4th or 5th grade when I took a photography project for 4-H.  It was a Kodak 110 camera.  If you don't know what in the world that is, here's a picture:



That's when I learned to load film--how old school is that?!  My had a camera at one point that you had to wind yourself when the film ran out--no auto-rewind in those days!  I got my first digital camera as a high school graduation present.  Now I have my "pocket camera" (a Kodak Easy-Share M1063 that slips easily into any bag or pocket for everyday use--and as a bonus, it's purple) and my "nice camera" (a Cannon Rebel T1i). The camera on my Samsung Captivate phone is pretty good, too, despite not having a flash.

I have boxes of pictures from my childhood and teen years both taken by others of me and that I took.  I have thousands of digital photos from my college years.  Candids of family, friends, acquaintences and the occasional stranger. 

The pictures have tapered off, though, over the years. Now and then I'll get a wild hair (hare?) and take a bunch of pictures, but sometimes even special occasions go photographically undocumented by me. 

Then the other day I was reading a blog called Marriage Confessions where the blogger's dad died suddenly.  I feel very sad for Katie and her family, of course, but the thing that struck me were the pictures in her post.  She had so many candid, every-day shots of her dad with her kids, smiling, golfing.  I realized I don't have enough pictures of our family.  I need more pictures of our parents with Nora.  I need more pictures of my nieces and nephews and our cousins.  We need pictures of our new church family and pictures of Nora with her friends. 

I read a blog called On Just A Couple Acres where one of the blogger's goals is to take a picture every day and she shares them weekly.  I am going to try to take at least one picture every day.  I probably won't share them weekly on here (partially because I am the WORST about uploading pictures and partially because I try to avoid putting other peoples' kids on the internet), but I am going to do my best to take them. 

Both cameras are charging up right now and I've already got my shot for today--rain falling from the gutter (it's been gently storming all morning). 

What pictures are important to you?  Which ones do you need to be more intentional about taking?

2 comments:

Quinn said...

I'm so glad you posted this (and shared it with me). I feel so convicted. It might look like I'm really good at remembering to take photos, but the sad reality is that I am incredibly camera shy. In the traditional sense, I am never, ever on the other side and as a mama, that might be something my children would like to have someday and also in the sense that I have a phobia of using my camera in public. It doesn't help that I'm always holding a baby, giving me an excuse. But I hate using my camera in front of other people, like I'm embarrassed or something, I don't know. But you've made me feel like I'm going to miss out on all the things that go on when we're not hanging out around here. Thanks!! :)

Stacy said...

My picture taking definitely comes in spurts, here and there. And for some reason, I'm much better at it when we're visiting with Kraig's family than with my own. It's odd. I definitely have more pictures of Kate than Jackson, but we're getting better!! Good luck:)