12.18.2011

Baby Christmas Outfit

I spotted this adorable Christmas outfit at a children's boutique here in town. The problem was that it was $37. Some people would say that's not a bad deal, but I'll tell you what, for something she's only going to wear a few times all within a few weeks there was no way I was paying that! So I made my own!


This was almost no-sew and the part that we sewed was hand-sewn, so very easy! My Mom helped me a ton--she's one of the craftiest (in a good way) people I know. She gave me the bravery I needed to tackle this project (I've had all the supplies since October)--hopefully this will give you the bravery you need!
I got all my supplies at Hobby Lobby. First, Mom and I traced three different glasses onto the back of my fabric. Then we cut the circles "ornaments" out and arranged them roughly on the onesie.


Then we ironed the ornaments onto some Heat and Bond. A word about Heat and Bond: read the instructions carefully! Follow them all. It is super sticky, so if you have an old/spare iron I would recommend dedicating it as a "craft iron". IT WAS MESSY. I had to clean the iron in between steps--that messy.

Then we measured and cut the lengths of Ric-rack for ornament hangers. Then we ironed the Heat and Bond onto the Ric-rack. It took some patience to cut the Ric-rack out, but really wasn't that time consuming.



The only thing left to do after that was arrange it all on the onesie and iron it all on. It was a little frustrating to get the Ric-rack to stick, but with some time and pressure, it ended up working nicely.

Next we needed to make the tutu. The tutu on the inspiration piece is attached directly to the outfit, but the inspiration piece is also a t-shirt and not a onesie. The onesie didn't make attaching the tulle directly to the outfit an easily attainable goal, especially since neither of us had ever made a tutu. So we punted, so to speak. I had an elastic headband, so we cut it down to fit Nora's waist and sewed it back together. This was the only sewing in the entire project! As I said before, we hand-sewed it. The needle on my sewing machine didn't like the rubber in the headband, and hand-sewing worked.

We just stuck the now-waistband around a coffee can and cut the tulle into strips. We folded the strips in half and looped them around the waistband and back through themselves. We did 3 strips of red followed by 3 strips of green all the way around the waistband. It ended up full and fluffy and sooo cute! I used a wrapping paper cutter made by Scotch to cut the strips. It was much faster than scissors. I didn't measure anything at all on this part, just eyeballed the first one and then measured the rest off that first strip. We got 3 strips from the width of our tulle.

...and here's Nora Rose in her super cute new outfit! She already wore it for Christmas with my family and I can't wait to put it on her for Christmas morning next week! The whole project only took a few hours, so it's definitely something you could get done before the big day arrives!

2 comments:

Mary Etta Kripps said...

She looks beutiful in the outfit of course, and has a talented mom!

Stacy said...

Too cute! You should pin it!