11.16.2011

Parenting Poll

So Mommies of the internet, I have a question for you.


I've been seeing a lot of hub-bub about parenting lately online as far as making the best decisions for your kids, how you should teach them this-or-that, what you should-or-shouldn't do, etc. Usually I make a habit of reading blogs and articles by people who understand that there are many methods of parenting and many ways of doing things with and for your kids. However, recently I've been seeing a lot of somewhat vindicitive articles popping up in mainstream news and across the blogosphere that assert that it's their way or you're a bad parent! Crazy!


So here is my question: How much of parenting do you feel is intuitive vs. learned? How often do you think you would already make the right choice for your child without a book, blog, wikipedia, your parents or your pediatrician weighing in?


I feel like it would be pretty high on the intuitive side. Maybe 85/15 or 90/10.


If you're feeling ambitious, how do you gauge what's "right"? Do you go by AAP guidelines? Or is there another pillar of "right" that you navigate with? Am I a bad parent for letting her chew leaves to get some cute pictures, haha? (I really didn't let her actually eat them!)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Great post! I think it is mostly intuitive. One reason I try not to say one way is the perfect way to do something is because every child and family have their own unique challenges.

I am not a huge fan of attachment parenting because I need to have some boundaries and routine in order to function well. I would encourage most twin moms to try to use a routine with their babies. However I read a great article about how attachment parenting can work for moms of multiples and I know that there are several moms that needed to hear it.

Stacy said...

I would agree, Joy. It has to be more intuitive because every kid is different. Every child learns differently, develops at a different pace, etc. It can't be one way only for anything. You do what feels right for your kids and because it works for your kids. FYI, there is an actual poll tool that you can put on your blog if you think people will vote:)

Shan T said...

I agree about seeing some very vindictive, harsh posts out in the blog word. I feel like all moms mother the was that works best for their family and its sad to see so many moms judging other moms on their personal decisions.

That being sad I would say I am 75% intuition and 25% learned. After all the research I do on whatever the particular topic is, I always go back to what my gut says. Buttt I think my gut feelings can be changed based on theinfomartion I have learned from family or friends or online.

There is no such thing as "right". There are plenty of things I have done that I am sure many moms would say "Oh I would never let my child do that" or "I would never do that" but it works for me and my family. We all need to try to be a little bit more open minded and just be the best moms we can be to our babies!