11.11.2011

Flower Hair Clip and the cutest Kitty I've Ever Seen

This week I made an amazing, season-defying, simple, *almost* no-sew flower hair clip for NR. Do you like all those adjectives? I do.

My unbelievably talented cousin, Nici, had a couple of adorable hair clips made of felt when she took NR’s pictures at about 5 weeks and I fell in love with them. So, the last time I was in Hobby Lobby I picked up some felt. The deal was 4 for $1, so I picked up white, black, orange and yellow. I also picked up a bag of metal hair clips. They’re the same ones every hair bow and do-dad is attached to. They were somewhere in the 3-4 dollar range for something like 20 of them. Not bad. I had flowers on my mind, but as I was checking out, the cashier said something like, “making Halloween projects, I see” and suddenly my mind was filled with jack-o-lanterns and candy corn. I didn’t make any of those for Halloween this year, but did end up making something else Halloween-y…more on that at the bottom of the post.

First, I took a plain piece of paper and sketched out a flower, then cut it out and traced it onto the yellow felt. I used a plain pencil, but chalk would have worked a lot better, I just didn’t have any on hand. I tried using pinking shears to cut it out, but it didn’t look right, so I went to straight scissors. The petals ended up just a little lopsided, but I figured since this was my maiden voyage into the waters of felt flowers, it would be ok. Then I traced another flower onto the orange felt and cut it out.
The yellow flower turned out smaller than the orange because I had to cut it down after the pinking shears didn’t work. So I hot glued the yellow on top of the orange and placed a green button in the center. (I got 100 assorted buttons for $5 at hobby lobby) Then I just sewed the button on through both layers of felt. I made sure to sew the button on REALLY WELL because NR inevitably pulls headbands off in the car and chews on them and I didn’t want her choking on the button. As a matter of fact, I usually take her headband off before putting her in the car seat to prevent such gnawing.

Then I cut out a small rectangle of white felt and glued the clip to the felt, then the felt to the flower. It looked OK, but wasn’t really necessary.

Finally, I decided that it needed a leaf. I pulled out some green rickrack that I’d bought for NR’s Christmas outfit and cut off a piece. After struggling for a few minutes to figure out how to make it look like a leaf, I took it in to my husband and asked him what he thought and in 2 seconds flat he’d folded it to look like a leaf. Sickening, but I’m glad I have him, because I’d still be standing there trying to figure out how to make that rickrack look leaf-ish without him. I glued the little leaf to the back and put a small square of white over the edges so they won’t ravel or scratch at NR’s head.
It doesn’t look fabulous, but that part is against her head or the headband, so it’s fine for now and I’ll think ahead a little better next time.
Voila! My flower hair clip is finished! It defies seasons because the colors look either summery or autumn-y depending on the outfit you match it with.
Here’s NR on her 1st Halloween wearing the other thing I made with my felt—two little kitty ears!

No comments: